SLEEP APNEA AND YOUR OVERALL HEALTH.
Sleep Apnea is now being seen as a medical problem with a dental solution. And the solution to preserve your health and well-being can be as simple as an appliance that allows you to get a restful night’s sleep.
Many people find out that they never realized how tired they were during the day and just how much more energy they have after a good night’s sleep with a sleep apnea appliance. With severe Sleep Apnea, you need to see your physician, but with mild to moderate sleep apnea, there is help at our office.
Call Donna at 757-349-8877 and let’s talk.
SNORING ROBS THE BRAIN OF HEALTH.
Snoring can be a symptom of a serious health condition called obstructive sleep apnea or OSA. Effective treatment can be as close as a visit to your dentist. Dr. Peter Evans has helped dozens of men and women in
the Williamsburg, VA area enjoy the health benefits of deep sleep, with dental appliances.
- During an episode, complex changes happen in the body:
- As you begin to fall asleep, the tongue and soft tissues at the back of the throat relax. They block or partially obstruct the airway
- You take a few normal breaths, then breathing becomes shallow or stops entirely for several seconds
- As the body is deprived of oxygen, the brain senses danger. It sends a surge of adrenaline that shocks you into wakefulness as you jerk, choke, or snort
- The pattern repeats, potentially dozens of times per hour
- You get up feeling headachy and tired, with a dry or sore throat
- Over time, OSA puts a tremendous strain on the heart and lungs, dramatically increasing risk of health problems
SNORING AND OSA SOLUTIONS
In the past, treatment for OSA consisted primarily of CPAP or surgery. CPAP holds the airway open with a continuous flow of air, administered through a mask. It effectively reduces frequency and severity of OSA episodes...when it is used. Most people have difficulty sleeping tethered to a machine.
Once a diagnosis of OSA has been made by a physician, Dr. Evans treats the condition with a dental appliance for sleep apnea. This dental device is about the size of a sports mouthguard. Fit is customized to hold the mouth slightly open and the jaw forward, and keep the tongue depressed. The airway stays naturally clear, so you (and your bedmate) sleep soundly.
Call to schedule a consultation with Dr. Evans. Our number is 757-349-8877.